Virginia Point United Methodist Church is the oldest Methodist church in continuous service in North Texas. A small group of pioneer families came from Virginia to Fort Warren in 1834. They moved northwestward to an area 12 miles from what is now known as Denison. The settlement was called Warren. This area was selected because the land was cheap, the Indians were not too hostile and the nearby fort offered protection and a source of supplies. Land was bought from the few cattlemen who inhabited the area. The settlers began clearing the land and building their homes. The settlement eventually became known as Virginia Point because the surrounding landscape reminded the Virginians of their native homeland.
A church/school was built across Sandy Creek, directly west of the existing church. The structure and the seats were made from hand hewn logs and the floor was of the earth. Records show that the first sermon was delivered in 1837 by John B. Denton. This service marks the official recognized establishment of a Methodist Church at Virginia Point. The first teacher at the church/school was John Trimble.
In 1844, soldiers passing through the area asked to spend the night in the building because one of them was very ill. The man died and was buried near the church. This is believed to be the first burial in the Virginia Point Cemetery. When it was learned that the man died from small pox, the settlers burned the structure from fear of an epidemic.
Church services were then held in member’s homes until the Illinois School was built. This log structure was located about three miles west of the original church building.
In 1860, a location was selected for the construction of a new church building. Andy B. Youree and his wife, Athalia, sold two acres of land to the church trustees for the sum of $1.
The church was built of lumber from a sawmill in Jefferson, Texas. R.T. Fleming and Riley Chaffin hauled the lumber by ox-teams. Peter Turner, a local carpenter, supervised the construction and was assisted by members of the church. The oak logs used in the foundation were from the largest oak trees available in the Red River bottom. Mr. Turner also built a pulpit and straight back pews of pine wood. The pulpit and a few of the pews are still in use. The building committee consisted of E.H. Holland, H.A. Henry, B.F. Williams, John Gilliam, J.D. Pritchett, Andy B. Youree and Rev. S.J. Spotts. Rev. Spotts was one of the first pastors of the new church.
This church building is still used for services today. Minor changes have been made through the years for human comfort and structural up-keep. An annex building was added next to the church in 1963 containing a kitchen, restrooms and a dining/classroom area. In 1965, the church was honored with a Texas Historical Marker for being the oldest church in Fannin County. Stained glass windows have been installed throughout in memory of past church members. Most recently, parking area improvements were made. The remodeling of the annex was completed for Easter 2009.